[rrd-users] Re: Can't Parse DEF error on NT

Warnes, Jason SktnHR jason.warnes at saskatoonhealthregion.ca
Thu Aug 14 04:40:08 MEST 2003

I use to get the same thing on my NT/2000 versions of Perl scripts.  The
combination I found that works is this:
- Make sure that your output file (GIF/PNG) is formatted like this:
	c:\\inetpub\\graphs\\output.gif
- Make sure that your RRD definitions are like this:
	c\\:\\inetpub\\wwwroot\\mrtg\\rrdtool\\drmateo_e4.rrd:ds0:AVERAGE

The reasons for this are:
- Windows uses \ as directory layer separators, but Perl uses that as an
escape code for special characters, that is why when you want to send a \ to
the RRD Perl module you need to feed it a \\.  Otherwise Perl thinks it's an
escape character meant for the Perl interpreter.
- The \\ is required before the : of the "c\\:\\inet..." because RRDTool is
looking for : as a field separator, so you need to tell the RRD Perl module
to treat it like a special character.  So we need to feed it a \: but as
stated above when we need to feed the RRD Perl module a \ we need to send a
\\ to get past Perl thinking it's an escape character for it.
- We don't need a \\: in the output file definition because RRDTool isn't
using : as a field separator and will treat it literally.

I hope this helps, and doesn't just confuse the problem further.  :-)

Feel free to email me if you would like me to try and come up with a better
explanation.

Jason...