[rrd-users] Re: Multiple CPU Graph

Fitzgerald, David David.Fitzgerald at Level3.com
Fri Aug 29 16:07:36 MEST 2003

It's possible.  I'm going to assume you're not too well versed in this
so if my explanation is too slow, you've been warned.

Most routers have a set of MIBs which can be read via SNMP.  If your
router has a MIB that reports CPU utilization, you can do this easily.

You would simply write a script on your rrdtool server that polls the
router with the correct OID for the CPU variable.  Assuming you're using
Linux or unix, snmpget would get one variable, and snmpwalk would get a
bunch of them.  If you're using Windows, you'd need to research similar
tools.

In order to do this, you'd need to enable SNMP polling on the routers,
set a read-only community string, and probably enable access from the
server to the router (probably on the router's ACLs or a firewall.)

Once you get the data, you'd use the same script to insert the data into
an rrd file.

You could create one rrd file for all of the routers (OK if you know
that you'll never add or subtract more routers), or you can insert the
data for a router into its own rrd file.  Depending upon how good you
are with scripting (I typically use perl) you can write the script such
that it checks for the existence of the rrd file, and if it doesn't
exist, it automatically creates it.  This is great if you plan on adding
new routers.

Generating the graph could be done in this script or in a subsequent
script.  Example, I may get statistics every minute, but I might only
update the graph every 15 minutes.

As far as the color coding goes, the rrdgraph command allows you to set
that when you create the graph.  It also allows you to pull data from
multiple rrd files and cobine them onto one graph in the manner you've
requested.

If none of this sounds familiar, you've got a learning curve ahead of
you.  Otherwise, it's pretty trivial.  The only gotcha is the router and
how good its MIB support is.

It is possible that the router uses something other than SNMP to report
its statistics, and if so, you could simply substitute that in place of
the SNMP references above.