[rrd-users] Re: Web server log (access_log)

Kempf, Reed rkempf at rightnow.com
Tue Dec 2 22:32:35 MET 2003

I would disagree.  I believe that rrdtool is a great tool for analyzing
data from an apache access_log.  I set up a custom apache log which had
all the fields of data I required, then parsed through and sent the
totals to an rrdtool database which has been running flawlessly for over
2 years.  I keep one year of data in the database so I have trend data
over that time.

Here is the way I have the rrdtool db set up.  This is a python function
which I send a few parameters through but you should be able to get the
gist of how it is set up.

def checkRRD( rrd = None, rrdid = None, daystart = None ):

    rrdStart = "-b " + str(daystart)
    step = "-s " + str(300)

    cur_id = str(rrdid) + '.rrd'
    cur_rrd = rrd_db_dir + '/' + cur_id