[rrd-users] Re: ds:counter

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Mon Feb 17 12:09:35 MET 2003

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 11:51:51AM +0100, Sonja Pieper wrote:

> I am now using a counter type for my cpu-usage, which worked out quite
> well until now. I experimented with my script that feeds data to the
> rrd. So I got a bug and missed several readings now my counters are
> going crazy.

"going crazy" ???

Do you perhaps mean you forgot to set a suitable maximum and now you
have a huge spike?

> Should I have given them a greater heartbeat ? Can I undo the damage
> somehow now?

Heartbeat usually won't help.  It "only" determines if data that you
made available is in time.  It will only modify the rate into "unknown"
if the updates are too far apart.

Undo the damage: Yes, provided that you have made a backup (before the
wrong data) *and* you have the data available since this backup.  Just
restore the database and redo the updates.

Undo the bad results (but without a real repair): dump the database to
.xml, edit the .xml file and remove the bad numbers (change into NaN),
restore the .xml file to .rrd format.

HTH
Alex
--
Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give
offence. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-bullshit