[rrd-users] Re: Getting a different 'average'

Serge Maandag serge.maandag at staff.zeelandnet.nl
Tue Feb 18 15:12:30 MET 2003

David Gabler submitted a 95% script to the list 2 weeks ago, you can
find it at:
http://www.ee.ethz.ch/~slist/rrd-users/msg06041.html

I altered it a bit to have it calculate the value over other periods
besides 1 month.
I added the command line parameter --start.

I just call the script before I generate the graph:

my $perc95 = `/path/95th.pl --file /path/database.rrd --start $Period -d
-b`;
for ($perc95){
     /ds0:(\d+)/ && do {$in_95 =$1} or do {$in_95 =0};
     /ds1:(\d+)/ && do {$out_95=$1} or do {$out_95=0};

Then I convert the values to a cdef to be able to use GPRINT's %s
scaling:

CDEF:in_95=in,0,*,$in0_95,+
CDEF:out_95=in,0,*,$out0_95,+

A CDEF needs to perform calculations on a DEF, so I stuck in the bogus
"in,0,*" meaning "0 times in" and added the 95th percentile to it.

In the legend of the graph I print the 95th percentile values with :

GPRINT:in_95:AVERAGE:%6.2lf %sbps
GPRINT:out_95:AVERAGE:%6.2lf %sbps

Serge.