[rrd-users] How to get accurate weekly averages

Jani Muuriaisniemi jani.muuriaisniemi at luukku.com
Tue Feb 18 20:56:58 MET 2003

Hi,

I have a rrd into which bandwidth utilization statistics from an uplink
connection are being fed. The rrd is pretty much "standard", with the normal
5min, 30min, hourly and daily RRAs.

I have been experimenting with the idea of drawing a graph that displays the
amount of transferred bytes over a larger amount of time, and with larger
steps; say with one week steps for example.

I have gotten to get this partially working; I can get a graph that appears
to display what it is supposed to, but not exactly.

If I were to draw a graph of the total amount of data transferred with a
step of one week, I would naturally like the week to start from Monday and
end on Sunday. But, so far I have been unable to get this done.

Even if the timeperiod between Starttime and Endtime is an even number of
seconds divideable by the amount of seconds per week, and Starttime is set
on a Monday, the weekly averages are still not calculated as wanted.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to implement this properly?

Thanks and regards,

Jani