[rrd-users] Re: Please, I want to understand why this doesn't work

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Fri Jan 17 12:59:14 MET 2003

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 11:44:33AM +0100, Bas Rijniersce wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Hang on...  What you're saying is that *all*lines*are*drawn*
> > but they overlap?
>
> Yes
>
> > Look in the database and look at the values.  They *ARE* the same.
>
> But they aren't (at least they can't be)..

Yes they are.  Yes they can be.  Each interval is *one* value.

The minimum of one value 100 is 100.
The average of one value 100 is 100.
The maximum of one value 100 is 100.

>                                            The GPRINT below shows very
> different values for the MAX/MIN/AVG..

The GPRINT looks at the {minimum|average|maximum} of 600 intervals.
The minimum of 600 values can be entirely different from the average
of 600 values which can be entirely different from the maximum of 600.

(or maybe 400 values, or whatever other width your graph has)

>                                        Other strange things. As soon as
> I go 1 second past the magical number of 120400 seconds, I get the
> display I'm expecting, with widely differing min/max/avg..

Then each pixel will be 2 values.  Each pixel will be the {min|avg|max}
of the 2 values.

>                                                            This 1 second
> difference rules out the option that the values are in fact the same??

Why?  There has to be a bordercase *somewhere*.  Seems you found the border.

> I can't relate the 120400 seconds to the RRA's defined...

I'm sure there is a good reason for this.  If you want to know what's
happening exactly then enable debugging, edit the source etcetera.

120400 is very close to 120300 which is 401*300 which is 400 pixels
wide.  Try the same amount of time with differend end times.  You may
encounter different behaviour depending on mod(end_time,300).

--
Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give
offence. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-bullshit