[rrd-users] Re: Newbie - counter wrap

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Thu Jan 23 23:01:13 MET 2003

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 02:20:57PM -0300, Alberto E. Garrido wrote:

> Currently i´m working with RRDTool + Remstats
> I solved the problem decreasing polling intervals (from 300 seconds to
> 180)

You worked around the current problem.  You are now having a problem
at 2^32/180=23860929 octets per second, or 190.89 Mbps, in stead of
one at 14316557 octets per second, or 114.53 Mbps.

> I still want to know how should I declare a counter to be 64 bits in
> rrdtool.

A counter in RRDtool will handle 64 bit counters without you doing
anything.  The wrap-detection system works for both 32 bit and
64 bit counters.

--
Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give
offence. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-bullshit