[rrd-users] Re: Integrating Oracle with RRDTOOL

Kempf, Reed rkempf at rightnow.com
Mon Jul 7 20:26:12 MEST 2003

I agree with Thomas on his points.  The only thing I would have to add
is that if you have many data sources in a temporary RRD or tons of rows
in your oracle DB, then you may have some performance impacts when
creating this on the fly.

I chose to keep data in both because I do custom reporting off the
oracle db and display trend graphs from the RRD databases.  My oracle DB
has over 150 million rows in it and to pull that info out and create an
RRD on the fly and then query from that would take my server down no
matter how good my summary tables are set up since I need data for
daily, weekly, monthly and yearly time periods.

I guess it depends on how much data you have and the frequency you need
it.

HTH

ReedK