[rrd-users] Re: Integrating Oracle with RRDTOOL

Marcus Vinicius Ferreira marcus_ferreira at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 8 15:29:47 MEST 2003

Hi guys,

I would like to share some points regarding Oracle and rrds. These points are
mostly important in my particular scenario and may not be apropriate for you,
but even so here they are:

1) Storage
   I keep Oracle monitoring data in the rrds because it is less storage to use
at the database. I save work from keeping track another group of tables or
tablespaces, doing clean-up, etc.
   Because of rrd nature -- the "round robin" feature -- I can previously know
how much disk space my graph data will use. I keep them on /var, out of my disk
array and without interfering on my database I/O balance.

2) Average
   Averaging is automated by the tool. I do not need complex reports on my
database monitoring so my data collection is straight enough to feed RRDTool
only.

3) Security/Access
   Data access for the database is very simple. I use a simple account with
SELECT_CATALOG_ROLE and CONNECT privileges to run the scripts. No schemas, no
quota at tablespaces, no consumer groups.

4) Overhead
   It is argueable how much a monitoring task interferes with overall system
performance -- there is always interference -- but at least I try to make it
minimal keeping (here I go again....) storage out of Oracle datafiles and use
mainly v$ views at my scripts.

5) Simplicity
   Putting all these together, it is simpler to setup and monitor any other
database that comes into play. If I am not the DBA to that new database I can
argue with the team responsible that all I need is a simple account with a well
known Oracle role and a directory somewhere out of the way to generate the
graphs.

So that's it. I hope some of these ideas may help somebody.

Regards,

Marcus Vinicius Ferreira
DBA/SysAdmin