[rrd-users] MRTG - Problem importing MRTG log files into RRDTool (W2K to Linux)

Matchan, Neil W Neil.W.Matchan at team.telstra.com
Wed Jul 9 03:50:58 MEST 2003

I'm trying to convert mrtg log files into rrdtool archives and have hit a problem with the conversion.

I've copied the Windows 2000 mrtg .cfg and .log files to a new directory on my linux machine, added the "LogFormat:rrdtool" directive to the .cfg file and started MRTG.

MRTG has built the .rrd files as expected but the .rrd files are missing their "MAX 300 seconds" archives, so I don't have any 'max 5 minute data' that I can plot.
("AVERAGE 300 seconds" archives seem to be ok).

I have repeated this using the following versions of MRTG and RRDTool without success:

MRTG version 2.9.17 with RRDTool 1.0.38	(RedHat 7.3)
MRTG version 2.9.29 with RRDTool 1.0.41	(Redhat 7.3)

Below is an extract from one of the log files. It was created by MTRG version 2.8.6 running on a Windows 2000 server.

1057643306 488444237 3302324673
1057643306 434514 340238 434514 340238
1057642968 308442 468164 308442 468164
1057642800 428904 398270 617319 468164
1057642500 528509 305884 617319 369592
1057642200 194417 356910 194417 369592
1057641900 194417 196659 194417 196659
1057641600 295685 513317 298817 523111
1057641300 274666 662724 298817 682366
1057641000 141788 380582 271269 682366
1057640700 206436 235200 252601 295464
1057640400 214080 216739 252601 223374
1057640100 214928 229381 247336 236065
1057639800 221334 237835 247336 240723
1057639500 168649 311911 178910 489056
1057639200 143098 485379 143119 489056
1057638900 141561 213345 141561 213345
1057638600 141756 162287 141774 213345
1057638300 159784 276731 164101 305273
1057638000 181478 333319 188462 344591
1057637700 191829 278386 193922 344591
1057637400 224216 235732 251810 237232
1057637100 218543 229557 251810 234366
1057636800 204331 205381 265311 223095

Only things I can think of are:

MRTG bug ? (but I don't really think so)
Log formats between Linux and Windows implementations of MRTG may be different ?

Any ideas or ways around this ??

Thanks in advance,
Neil M