[rrd-users] Re: RRDTool Question

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Sat Jul 19 01:24:51 MEST 2003

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 02:04:44PM -0600, Eric Balsa wrote:

> Every time an email to my server comes in, i write a "tick" to a file (per user).
>
> Then, once every five minutes (cronjob), I go thru each users file, and parse how many emails they have received in the last 5 minutes. I then do a
>
> rrdtool update <time>:# of emails

This should give you the rate at which the emails come in, per second.

> But, when I try to graph the results, I am getting incorrect data.

That probably indicates you don't count very well :)

Seriously, try saving the numbers you get to another file (i.e. log the
"rrdtool update" command).  Manually trace the steps rrdtool goes through
and you will probably find that it does what it should do.

HTH
Alex