[rrd-users] Re: Help with counter wrap

Alejandro D. Garin linuxero2 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 5 14:40:34 MEST 2003

On Thursday 05 June 2003 06:24, Iñaki Martínez wrote:
> Hello Alejandro Diego Garin!!!
>
> > I have problems with the counters and the wrap issue. My front-end solve
> > the problem of a reset checking the uptime but in case of counters wrap
> > I am with problems.
> >
> > RRD database configuration:
> >
> > 	   "DS:testmeasure:COUNTER:1200:U:12500000"
> >            "RRA:MAX:0.5:1:288",
> > 	   "RRA:MIN:0.5:1:288",
> > 	   "RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:288"
>
>  try to change this line:
>
> DS:testmeasure:COUNTER:1200:U:12500000
>
>  for this one:
>
> DS:testmeasure:DERIVE:1200:0:12500000

Hello, thanks for your answer,
Yes this work fine, but with a gap in the graph....  I understood that
COUNTERs with a MAX can manage this problem nicely.

This is just fine for some of my interfaces but others need to manage the wrap
because of the hight usage and many counter wraps, so I need the COUNTER DST.

I' m checking the sysuptime so if the interfaces counter is reseted i can
detect it and handle this with the COUNTER Data source type.

Why the COUNTER dst doesn't work in my case ?

Alejandro