[rrd-users] only as good as the data....

Arthur Cinader Jr. acinader at panix.com
Fri Mar 7 02:08:13 MET 2003

I am using RH8 Linux.  I have been populating my rrd db with snmp data on
ethernet traffic.

For various reasons, I am interested in getting the data from some method
other than snmp.  I see that there is data in /proc/net/dev, but the data is
different then what snmpget returns?

1.    Is the data in /proc/net/dev suitable for reporting data usage over
time with rrd

2.    what happens when the counters roll over?  the counters roll over with
snmp.

3.    what happens when the computer reboots?

Thanks for any help in advancing my nascent understanding of this stuff!