[rrd-users] Re: Strange use for RRDtool....

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Thu Mar 13 15:34:14 MET 2003

Today James E. Dobson wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 08:57:33 -0500 (EST) Jason Russell
> <jason at 6speed.org> wrote:
>
> > The file must be updated at some sort of interval.
> >
> > I've done something similar, as have others, where I have
> > a client/server app that records CPU, memory, and paging
> > space use for several machines and updates the RRD. I
> > take the values every minute and average to 15 minute
> > intervals.
>
> Right, but in my case time doesn't mean anything. I want
> graphs with, for example, CPU time on x axis and userid on
> y. This is not a snapshot in time but a record left
> (accounting) of when an application finishes. I have over 40
> data points I wish to create graphs from.

Jed,

If your graph is not time based, I would sugget to NOT use rrdtool
.... use grace for example

tobi

> -jed
>
> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, CH-8092 Zurich, Switzerland
 / // _ \/ _ \/ /  System Manager Coach Time Lord Developer Designer
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/   http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker +41(0)1-632-5286