[rrd-users] Re: Help with running remstats

Thomas Erskine thomas.erskine at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 13 15:47:05 MET 2003

At 09:36 2003-03-12, gab.seun jones.ewulomi wrote:

 >Hi Thomas,
 >
 >1)My web-server is run as root? How do I change it otherwise

You *really* don't want to run your web-server as root.  Started by root,
of course, so that it can bind to port 80.  Since you don't say which
web-server you're using, I'm going to assume apache.  Edit the httpd.conf
file and look for the "User" and "Group" lines.

 >2)I did as you suggested. I went into the directory where unpacked it
 >remstats and typed
 >"make owner"

Note.  This only fixes the permissions on files.  If you run any other
remstats programs as root after that, you'll be right back where you
started with files owned by root under the remstats tree.

 >3)Yes I did create a remstats user. I have also created a host config
 >file(by your direction) using "new-config".
 >which then created the pseudo-host _remstats_
 >4) I then tried to use the "new-ping-hosts" to create a host. Im I using the
 >"new-ping-hosts" in the correct way. can you help if possible.
 >
 >(output below)
 >./new-ping-hosts -d -f /var/remstats/etc/config/

That's incorrect.  The debug flag wants a number after it and Getopt::Std
is trying to take "-f" as the level, which will be interpreted as
0.  Almost all the remstats programs will accept a "-h" flag (for help) to
give you the syntax of the command-line.

 >/var/remstats/etc/config/hostnames

Perhaps you meant that to be on the same line?  Doesn't matter.  What you
typed is completely wrong.  New-ping-hosts (like all the new-xxx-hosts
programs) wants to see a group-name to add the hosts to like:

     $ new-ping-hosts groupname hostfile

It will use "groupname" as the name of the group for the hosts to belong to
and read hostnames from "hostfile".  Unless you've overridden it in
configure, /var/remstats/etc/config is the default config dir and you don't
need to specify it.  If you want to turn debugging on, use "-d 1", not "-d".

 >Argument "-f" isn't numeric in numeric gt (>) at
 >/var/remstats/lib/remstats.pl line 2715, <FILE> line 1.
 >DEBUG: unknown host aberdeen; attempting to continue
 >DEBUG: unknown host bristol; attempting to continue
 >
 >/var/remstats/etc/config/hostnames = the file that contains hostnames
 >this however created a host in the /var/remstats/etc/config/hosts directory
 >called aberdeen and bristol. But they didnt look right. I then edited with
 >the correct ip address, group etc
 >
 >5)I then tried to run "run-remstats" logging in as remstats user (su -
 >remstats). But I get the error below

Nope.  Always run "check-config" after changing the configuration.  If it
won't accept it, nothing else will either.

 >Thank you very much for your reply.
 >[root at remstats-server bin]# ./run-remstats
 >
 >Errors from ping-collector:
 >
 >defined(@array) is deprecated at /var/remstats/bin/ping-collector line 75.
 >        (Maybe you should just omit the defined()?)

Yeah.  You've got a more recent perl than was available when I built that
version of remstats.  You can ignore them for now.  I'm going to do a
release within a week on sourceforge.