[rrd-users] Problems with large counters?

Darren Gamble Darren.Gamble at sjrb.ca
Fri Mar 14 19:48:46 MET 2003

Good day,

I've been using rrdtool for some time, and I've recently encountered a
problem with rrdtool and large counter values.

The graph in question is traffic for a NetApp cache which does a large
amount of traffic.  Traffic data is gathered from a virtual 64-bit counter
(it's actually two 32 bit counters put together) and then fed into rrdtool.

rrdtool handles it properly until the value of the counter gets to a certain
size, at which point it has problems.  "rrdtool update" will silently accept
the value, but doing a graph or fetch shows that the stored value is zero
(NOT NaN, but zero, so it doesn't think the value is too high or anything).
I grabbed two sample counters- going from 1.1382094242105E+14 to
1.1382517014663E+14 , for example.

We tried resetting the counters on the device.  As soon as we did that,
rrdtool started storing non-zero data again.

What's causing this to happen?  Is there a problem with rrdtool doing the
subtraction, perhaps?

Darren Gamble
Planner, Regional Services
Shaw Cablesystems GP