[rrd-users] Re: Problems with large counters?

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Fri Mar 14 20:06:32 MET 2003

Today Darren Gamble wrote:

> rrdtool handles it properly until the value of the counter gets to a certain
> size, at which point it has problems.  "rrdtool update" will silently accept
> the value, but doing a graph or fetch shows that the stored value is zero
> (NOT NaN, but zero, so it doesn't think the value is too high or anything).
> I grabbed two sample counters- going from 1.1382094242105E+14 to
> 1.1382517014663E+14 , for example.

could it be that you are not feeding rrdtool integers but numbers
which got converted to float in the meantime and then back ? this
will cause you to loose precision at the low end, so that at some
point the difference between two high numbers is becomming zero ...
rrdtool has arbitrary precision when building the difference of
two numbers ... there could be bugs in rrdtool too, just guessing

cheers
tobi

--
/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, CH-8092 Zurich, Switzerland