[rrd-users] Injecting data directly into RRD files

Philip Molter philip at datafoundry.net
Wed Mar 26 14:47:20 MET 2003

I have about 8000 RRD files that I periodically need to backfill
with data from other RRD files (think of a redundant measuring
system).  Right now, I take the "bad" RRD file, dump it, search
through the XML file for the time periods I know are wrong, find
any NaN values, and replace them with the values fetched for the
same time out of the "good" RRD file.

With 8000 RRD files, this takes about 24 hours to do (the dump
files are enormous, bordering on 10MB for some of the larger RRD
files).  Given that RRD files have a fixed file length, a fixed
time period, and a fixed step, I'm wondering if anyone has a utility
that will just let you overwrite a value in a specific time slot
with another one?

I don't care about the interpolation or calculations or anything.
The data for a specific row is a known good value and "belongs" in
that spot.

Does anyone know of such a utility?
Philip

* Philip Molter