[rrd-users] Re: thoughts on front-ends

Joe DeFelice joe at mirrorimage.net
Thu Mar 27 17:44:24 MET 2003

We've been using Cricket for a while and have been really happy with it. We use
it for cpu, memory, throughput, etc, as well as for SLB stats from Cisco IOS
(kinda messy, though). Setting up new new items to monitor is generally pretty
easy, the SLB stats being the only exception I've run into. Alarms are also easy
to set up and can be configured as persistent or non-persistent. Aggregation
works pretty nicely, which allows you to combine all of your links into one
aggregated bandwidth summary graph, for instance.

Recently, I started pulling SLA pages with Cricket, using the built-in http
feature, and it does a pretty nice job, though I also use Smokeping for this, as
it provides more detailed results.

Hope this helps,

Joe