[rrd-users] Exporting historical data from RRD's

David Gethings davidg at pipex.net
Thu Mar 27 18:44:35 MET 2003

Hi a newbie here so please excuse my ignorance.

I'm an trying to find a way of exporting historical data from one RRD to
another. However the number of RRA are different for each RRD. The
orginal RRD has 7 RRA's (the ones that MRTG setup), the new RRD has 8
RRA's.

I am told that having the historical data in the new format is vital,
but I'm doubting whether this can be achieved. My searches of the web of
others doing such a thing has drawn a blank. And my efforts so far have
not been successful.

The following script attempts to complete my task. My questions are: is
what I have been asked to do possible? If so what am I doing wrong?

TIA

Dg

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
#

# script to migrate historical data from old RRD to new RRD

use strict;
use RRDs;

my $time = 1024531200;

my $day  = 12 * 24;
my $week = $day * 7;

my $step = 300;
my $hb   = $step * 2;
my $type = 'COUNTER';
my $min  = 0;
my $max  = 'U';
my @ds   = ("DS:ds0:$type:$hb:$min:$max",
            "DS:ds1:$type:$hb:$min:$max"
            );
my @rra  = ("RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:$week",
            "RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:700",
            "RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:775",
            "RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:$day:797",
            "RRA:MAX:0.5:1:$week",
            "RRA:MAX:0.5:6:700",
            "RRA:MAX:0.5:24:775",
            "RRA:MAX:0.5:$day:797"
            );

RRDs::create('my.rrd',
             '--start', $time,
             '--step',  $step,
             @ds,
             @rra
             );

while ($time < time) {
  my ($start,$step,$names,$data) =
	RRDs::fetch $ARGV[0], 'MAX', '--start', $time,
	            '--end', $time += 300;

  foreach my $line (@$data) {
    next unless defined $line->[0];
    RRDs::update $ARGV[0], "$time:$line->[0]:$line->[1]";
  }
}