[rrd-users] Was: RRDtool Now: Cannot install rrdtool on MS Win (not built for this version of Perl ..)

Thu May 1 13:15:17 MEST 2003

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 05:31:23AM -0400, Dwyer, Paul wrote:
> Thanks for that answer, I did try your suggestions but to no avail. I
have
> read a lot of documents, one states that  i have to register the
rrdtool by
> running  >ppm install rrds.ppd, i did this and received the following
error.
> Any ideas.
>

> D:\mrtg29\rrdtool\perl-shared>ppm install rrds.ppd
> Installing package 'rrds.ppd'...

Ah-ha ! The installation error message that is respnsible for the Perl
mrtg program  failing saying it can't find RRDs.pm.

> Error installing package 'rrds.ppd': Read a PPD for 'rrds.ppd', but it
is
> not intended for this build of Perl (MSWin32-x86-multi-thread)
>
> Cheers

With luck, the MS Windows experts on the RRD users lists will be able to
tell you how to proceed.

Unfortunately, I have nothing to offer other than a quick STFW shows
that this is a common error and

http://www.enterastream.com/whitepapers/mrtg/mrtg-manual-cap6.html

says,

Register RRDTOOL package with the currently installed Perl distribution
(at least Perl 5.6). Go to the ?perl-shared? folder and run the
following command ...

Is your MS Win Perl at least 5.6 ? The PPD is only suitable for
installation on a host with the same version of Perl as that the PPD was
compiled with. It seems to me that the PPD should tell you what version
of Perl it is intended for. If you have the wrong PPD, you will need to
get a replacement that is built for the same Perl as your MS host.

>From http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/1745/2002/7/0/9135523/, the
RRD MS Win binaries are produced by Tobi (who pays MS for their
development tools so that he can provide 'free' rrdtool to MS users) and
published on the RRD web site.

Some of the archive names suggest Perl 5.8 (eg
rrdtool-1.0.40.x86distr.zip-5.8.zip). The others may therefore be for
5.6.1. You may have to download a few (don't worry about the RRD version
too much), unzip and scan the READMEs.

Lastly, by way of a suggestion, you are not helping your cause by
replying to me or any individual who answers a question posted
to a list, personally (particuarly me).

In this case, I thought I saw an ooportunity to save someone else from
replying to a question about which I thought I could help.

Restricting the correspondence to an answerer increases your risk of
suffering from poor advice (whether malicious or simply stupid) without
the regulation of the public forum, wasting your time when the answerer
runs out of answers, as well as depriving others with the same problem
from sharing the solution.

> Paul

Good luck.

Yours sincerely.