[rrd-users] Re: Does min, max and rigid option combination cause a speed up?

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Mon May 26 16:47:20 MEST 2003

On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 03:03:13PM +0200, Németh László wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my question is if you use the options:
> --rigid, --upper-limit, --lower-limit
>
> does it speed up graph production (I guess yes)? If yes,
> can anybody give an approxmation how many percents it means?

I don't think it will make much difference.  In fact, I do think
those options will slow it down by 0.00000000000000000000001%

Think of the process like this:

- look for minimum visible value   -> cur_min
- look for maximum visible value   -> cur_max
- if --upper-limit is set
    then
       if upper-limit > cur_max
          then
              cur_max = upper-limit
       fi
  fi
- if --lower-limit is set
    then
       if lower-limit < cur_min
          then
              cur_min = lower-limit
       fi
  fi
- if --rigid is set
    then
       cur_min = lower-limit
       cur_max = upper-limit
  fi
- graph from cur_min to cur_max

Maybe (and I didn't look in the source so emphasis on maybe!) the
code is optimized and contains "if --rigid then ... else ...".

This all is probably not worth the effort; I'm serious about the
mentioned percentage!

HTH
Alex