[rrd-users] Re: Faster tool to generate graphs using RRD files

Pavel Ruzicka pavouk at pavouk.org
Thu Nov 13 11:23:55 MET 2003

Hi,

> Now I have aproximately 11000 targets and rrdtool continues being fine to
> poll the variables in this targets. But unafortunately another problem
> appears:

I have about 6500 targets and I found some problematic parts.
For faster graphing is needed modperl in Apache.

Problem is with writing 6500 files. MRTG gets targets, system (linux) caches
data to RAM and after few seconds kernel tries flush buffers on to disk.
Now begins hell for interactive applications. System is totally dead for
about 1 minute. I have idea, that on this helps more RAM (I have 512MB),
faster SCSI disk 15000RPM (I have 7200RPM) and maybe RAID SCSI controller
with huge cache. Processor speed is not too important (I have 2x 400MHz).

I use 14all.cgi.

Best regards,

Pavel Ruzicka