[rrd-users] Re: Faster tool to generate graphs using RRD files

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Mon Nov 10 22:55:13 MET 2003

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 04:23:14PM -0500, Saravia, Jovanny - (Col) wrote:

> I am using mrtg-rrd.cgi to graph these rrd files. But due to the high volume
> of request, the client experience a lot of time while the graph is being
> generated. So, I am trying to change my frontend. I would like to hear of
> the people in this list, which tool I could check in order to generate in a
> faster way these graphs request from RRD files.

Make sure the query matches the database.

If you store data similar to what MRTG does, make sure the clients
will only query for data in the same resolution.

For instance: if you are storing 600 rows of data, each row being
300 seconds apart, make sure:

1: both the begin time and the end time are a whole number times 300
2: are within the stored range

Likewise for the other RRAs.

Also,
   "--end 1068494400" "--start end-1day"
may be much faster than
   "--end 1068494100" "--start end-1day"

This example may not show it; it surely makes a big difference
when rrdtool can choose between both the 5-minute averages and
the 30-minute averages and need to produce an image that shows
30 minute per pixel (200 hours on a 400-pixel wide image).

It's hard to tune a system when one doesn't know the details,
hopefully you understand what I ment to say.

HTH
Alex
--
http://www.googlism.com/index.htm?ism=alex+van+den+bogaerdt&type=1