[rrd-users] Re: What am I doing wrong?

Serge Maandag serge.maandag at staff.zeelandnet.nl
Wed Oct 15 15:46:15 MEST 2003

Changing the xff will not help you here.

I believe it works like this:

Say you update 5 times within the step size time.
The updates have the values (1, nan, 3, nan, nan).

An RRA MAX:0.9999999999:1:9999 would get the value 3.
An RRA MAX:0.5:1:9999 would get the value nan, because more than half of
the values are nan.

The second RRA (which consolidates more than 1 pdp) considers it's xff
when values from the first RRA are consolidated into it.

In your case your updates have the values (nan, nan, nan, nan, nan)
because everytime you update, you are well beyond the heartbeat of the
DS.

In other words: Fiddling with the xff won't help you because damage has
already been done.
Choose a step that is close to the average time your updates and choose
a heartbeat that is beyond the biggest interval between updates.

Serge.