[rrd-users] Help Setting Up RRDatabase

Blake Crosby me at blakecrosby.com
Wed Oct 15 20:54:59 MEST 2003

I'm havng difficulty understanding the relationship between heartbeat and
step.

Here is my situation.

I have 4 values that I would like to place in the rrd database every 30 min
(11 and 44 minutes past each hour). However I would like the graph to be as
smooth as possible (especially when only 24-36 hours worth of data is
displayed).

I'm assuming id set up the step to be 300 seconds (5 minutes) and the
heartbeat to be 1800 seconds (30 minutes). This way rrdtool will average the
values between the 30 minute updates.

Am I wrong?

When I create the rrdatabase then do a dump, each row is a multiple of 5
minutes (regardless of what time the --start value is). Since I am updating
the database at 11 and 44 minutes past each hour are those values going to
get lost?

Blake