[rrd-users] redhat 9 bb server hanging after using rrdtool

Lance Tost lance.tost at respironics.com
Mon Oct 27 19:10:37 MET 2003

I have a redhat 9 (2.4.20-20.9) server that's a Big Brother server (1.9c).
The server is a Dell 1550 with 1GB RAM and a 1Ghz CPU.  Last week, I
installed larrd-0.43c from www.deadcat.net.  Larrd requires RRDTool so I
grabbed the latest source I could find (1.0.45), compiled and installed.

It seemed to work fine until my server froze up pretty badly one day.  I
could ping it but could not ssh to it.  On the serial console, I got a
login prompt so I attempted to log in.  After taking my password, it too
froze up.  I had to power cycle it.

I thought maybe this was a fluke, so I didn't disable larrd/rrdtool.  Over
the weekend, it froze up again.  This time, no response at all on the
console.

I've searched my system logs but found no clues.  The only clues I had
were the first time it hung, big brother was reporting that the cpu was in
system/kernel space 99-100% of the time and 0% idle, 0% user, etc.

Anyone run into anything simliar with larrd or any other tools that use
rrdtool?

Thanks

--
Lance Tost, Systems Engineer
lance.tost at respironics.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message, together with any attachments, may be legally privileged
and is confidential information intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed.  It is exempt from
disclosure under applicable law including court orders.  If you are not
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, distribution or copy of this message, or any attachment,
is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error,
please notify the original sender and delete this message, along with
any attachments, from your computer.