[rrd-users] Re: What am I doing wrong?

Serge Maandag serge.maandag at staff.zeelandnet.nl
Fri Oct 24 11:31:00 MEST 2003

I quote from the rrdmanual:

"heartbeat defines the maximum number of seconds that may pass between two updates of this data source before the value of the data source is assumed to be *UNKNOWN*."

You are thinking one step too far by fiddling with the heartbeat.
Updates will always yield to nans if the interval between consecutive updates is bigger than the heartbeat of the DS.

> with "RRA:MAX:0.9999999999:1:9999

This says: if more than 99.99999999 % of the last 1 values is unknown, else the value will be the max of the values known.

First of all, there's not much use in tuning a percentage when consolidating only 1 value.
Second, the value already was nan, because you overslept the heartbeat time.

So when the value is evaluated against the xff, the choices are
- make it nan, because more than xff % of the values are nan
- take the max value, because less than xff % of the values are nan. Max value of the value list (nan) is: nan!

Serge.