[rrd-users] Re: simple beginner question

news.naag at gmx.net news.naag at gmx.net
Tue Sep 2 19:27:26 MEST 2003

It was foretold that on Tue, 2 Sep 2003 09:35:18 -0700 (PDT), Jeremy
Hansen <jeremy at methanesea.com> would mumble:

> In order for me to understand how RRDTool works, I was hoping someone
> could help me with a simple problem I have.
>
> I have a data file, three fields:
>
> Date in the format of 2003-09-02
> Domain in the format of domain.com
> Transfer in 1K 2794893 means 2.79 gigs
>
> How can I use rrdtool to create graphs for this data.  It only needs to
> run daily...I would like one graph per domain listing that plots the
> transfer per day.
>
> This seems like a job for rrdtool but from the docs I can't quite put it
> together and I thought if I could relate to my example it would help me
> understand.
>
> Thanks
> -jeremy

Hi jeremy,

just you clarify: does your data-field only contain *one* transfer-field
per domain per day?
If yes, rrdtool could not create any useful graphs out of this.
Of course it could create a graph containing lust a single bar..
However you could combine different data files into one graph, if this is
what you wish for.

Greetings,
Peter