[rrd-users] Re: simple beginner question

Jeremy Hansen jeremy at methanesea.com
Tue Sep 2 19:33:17 MEST 2003

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 news.naag at gmx.net wrote:

> It was foretold that on Tue, 2 Sep 2003 09:35:18 -0700 (PDT), Jeremy
> Hansen <jeremy at methanesea.com> would mumble:
>
> > In order for me to understand how RRDTool works, I was hoping someone
> > could help me with a simple problem I have.
> >
> > I have a data file, three fields:
> >
> > Date in the format of 2003-09-02
> > Domain in the format of domain.com
> > Transfer in 1K 2794893 means 2.79 gigs
> >
> > How can I use rrdtool to create graphs for this data.  It only needs to
> > run daily...I would like one graph per domain listing that plots the
> > transfer per day.
> >
> > This seems like a job for rrdtool but from the docs I can't quite put it
> > together and I thought if I could relate to my example it would help me
> > understand.
> >
> > Thanks
> > -jeremy
>
> Hi jeremy,
>
> just you clarify: does your data-field only contain *one* transfer-field
> per domain per day?

Yes.  So to give some background to explain what I'm looking for.  I work
for a hosting company.  We'd like to graph daily bandwidth stats per
domain we host.  So I have the data, now I would like to display to the
user, you did 2gig on 09/02, 4gigs on 09/03, etc using a bar graph or line
graph.

> If yes, rrdtool could not create any useful graphs out of this.
> Of course it could create a graph containing lust a single bar..

I believe this would work.  If that single bar can represent 4gigs of
transfer on 09/02, that's all I need.

> However you could combine different data files into one graph, if this is
> what you wish for.

Not really sure.  I was hoping this example was easy and could explain to
me exactly how rrd tool fits together.  Thanks for your help!

-jeremy