[rrd-users] Re: simple beginner question

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Wed Sep 3 00:52:42 MEST 2003

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 09:35:18AM -0700, Jeremy Hansen wrote:

> In order for me to understand how RRDTool works, I was hoping someone
> could help me with a simple problem I have.

step 1:  work your way through the tutorial AND the manual pages

> I have a data file, three fields:
>
> Date in the format of 2003-09-02
> Domain in the format of domain.com
> Transfer in 1K 2794893 means 2.79 gigs

step 2: ditch the date and domain

step 3: make a number out of that 3rd line.

> How can I use rrdtool to create graphs for this data.  It only needs to
> run daily...I would like one graph per domain listing that plots the
> transfer per day.

step 4: enter the number at a specific time, such as midnight

You want *your* midnight, not UTC, so you need to have a step size
of one hour times 60 minutes per hour times 60 seconds per minute
equals 3600 seconds.

You want to update each 24 hours so you need a heartbeat value of
at least 24 hours times 60 minutes per hour times 60 seconds
per minute equals at least 86400 seconds.

The update represents the amount of data during the entire interval,
this is similar to a counter that gets reset after reading.  Following
the docs, you need to use "ABSOLUTE" as the counter type.

You want to move the data into the RRA also at one hour a time, or
you end up with UTC time.  Therefore the RRA will have to be 24 steps
per row (24 PDPs per CDP if you follow the docs).

Update each day after midnight, specifying a time (-not- "now").

Create graphs when you want, at a desirable size and with a desirable
amount of time on the X-axis.  The data will be in bytes per second,
so if you want to display bytes per day you're going to multiply that
by 86400 (using CDEF).

Happy coding.
Alex
--