[rrd-users] Re: Default community string and SNMP

Fitzgerald, David David.Fitzgerald at Level3.com
Wed Sep 3 16:47:10 MEST 2003

What kind of device are you attempting to poll via SNMP?  Find out who
manages it and ask him or her.  Typically, SNMP probably wouldn't be
enabled by default.  You can always try a community string of "public",
as some people like to enable SNMP in this way (not that I recommend
it).

The method you use to poll the device in question depends upon the
device you are polling from.  If it is a unix derivative, snmpget and
snmpwalk are very handy.  If you're using a Windows box, you might want
to try something like MG-Soft's MIB browser, which has a eval version.

Good Luck!

fitz

-----Original Message-----
From: rrd-users-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch
[mailto:rrd-users-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch] On Behalf Of news.naag at gmx.net
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 10:01 AM
To: rrd-users at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: [rrd-users] Re: Default community string and SNMP

It was foretold that on Wed, 03 Sep 2003 13:46:25 +0000, yaka patiya
<yakpatiya at hotmail.com> would mumble:

> Can someone tell me what's the best way to find out if SNMP is
enabled. I
> think I can do this through getif. But how will I know what the
community
> string is? How can I find that out ? Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Regards,

You could try to connect to the SNMP port (usually 161). If the
connection
is successful, SNMP should be running on the target.
About the community string: since this is a *password* for SNMP access,
it
is secret and therefore not readable.

Greetings,
Peter Buecker