[rrd-users] feeding rrd with not time sequenced argus data.

txemi txemi2 at euskalnet.net
Mon Sep 29 11:40:19 MEST 2003

Hi, I am trying to draw argus data with rrdtool, and I found next
problem:

- rrdtool needs data periodically sequenced.
- argus gives me transaction data when some transaction is finished.

So if I want to draw received bytes at one machine from other I do not
know how to
feed argus data to rrd.

Acceptable behaviour whould be something like that:

- rrd supposes 0 bytes received if no update received at some interval.
I think default behaviour is guessing data from near time slots or using
UNKNOWN if not enough data available.
- rrd adds updates instead of making average if more than one
transaction finished
at some interval. I do not know default behaviour for the case when more
than one update
is done for a single time slot.

What would be the proper method to do that? Is any of the existing data
inputs (GAUGE/COUNTER/DERIVE/ABSOLUTE) doing what I need? Do I need to
write glue code to feed rrd every time slot with data doing behaviour I
need? I am sure somebody had the same problem as using rrd with argus is
very common.

Thanks,
txemi.

--