[rrd-users] Re: feeding rrd with not time sequenced argus data.

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Mon Sep 29 12:04:06 MEST 2003

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 11:40:19AM +0200, txemi wrote:

> Acceptable behaviour whould be something like that:
>
> - rrd supposes 0 bytes received if no update received at some interval.
> I think default behaviour is guessing data from near time slots or using
> UNKNOWN if not enough data available.

Anything in RRDtool is a rate.  If you're updating within the heartbeat
interval, RRDtool will calculate your update to be valid between the
last time you've done an update and the current update (which does not
have to be "now" !)

If the heartbeat timer expired, the update is invalidated.

> - rrd adds updates instead of making average if more than one
> transaction finished
> at some interval. I do not know default behaviour for the case when more
> than one update
> is done for a single time slot.

I don't know that program so I cannot comment on the specifics.

In general: you need to write your own front end that processes the
records.  You can then enter the data into rrdtool once you know you
will not get another update.

Count all ongoing sessions (or whatever it is you're measuring).  If
this is zero, feed zero to RRDtool.  You probably want to calculate
a rate yourself and thus use GAUGE as the counter type for RRDtool.

Just update RRDtool from your front end every five minutes (or any
other suitable interval) asynchroniously from the input processing
done by your front end.

HTH
Alex