[rrd-users] Re: wrong values when graphing with RRD

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Wed Apr 21 11:28:20 MEST 2004

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 10:53:36AM +0200, Fernando Nieto wrote:
> Hello Alex, thank you for your answer, but I'm not completely agree with
> you, let me explain.
>
> I have something like the following:
>
> 	DS:ds0:GAUGE:600:0:U
> 	DS:ds1:GAUGE:600:0:U
> 	RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:2328
>
> Every record stores 8 days of samples collected every 300 seconds. The RRA
> step is 1, so every PDP is AVERAGEed to form one CPD, that is, every value
> becomes one CPD.

CDPs are NOT visible on the graph (nor in the legend).  Consolidation happens
not only when data is stored, it also happens when data is graphed.

I repeat:

> > MAX(  AVERAGE(5,5) , AVERAGE(0,0) )
> >
> > is different from
> >
> > MAX(  AVERAGE(5,5,0,0)   )

You are telling RRDtool to do something and RRDtool is doing exactly what
you ask it to do.  If you want the maximums, do not ask for the averages.

Alex