[rrd-users] The old "illegal attempt to update" problem

C. Bensend rrdtool at stinkweasel.net
Tue Aug 17 06:11:35 MEST 2004

Hey folks,

   I have been going through Google and I see this question asked quite a
bit about cricket, larrd, etc, but I didn't find a solution to my problem.
>From the dozens of posts and questions, it seemed like most of them were
using the wrong update times, duplicate timestamps, etc.

   I have a perl script that connects to a PostgreSQL database, sucks out
a date and a total, computes the epoch time of the date, and attempts to
update an RRD database with the following code:

RRDs::update( $rrd_datafile, "$epoch:$total" );
my $rrd_error = RRDs::error;
if( $rrd_error ) {
   printf(LOG $syslog_fmt, $timestamp, "rebuild_daily_rrd",
   "ERROR: Problem updating RRD file:", $rrd_error );
}

   And as you can see it coming, I'm seeing the following in my log file:

Aug 16 22:38:41 rebuild_daily_rrd: ERROR: Problem updating RRD file:
illegal attempt to update using time 1064725199 when last update time is
1092712700 (minimum one second step)
Aug 16 22:38:42 rebuild_daily_rrd: ERROR: Problem updating RRD file:
illegal attempt to update using time 1064811599 when last update time is
1092712700 (minimum one second step)
Aug 16 22:38:43 rebuild_daily_rrd: ERROR: Problem updating RRD file:
illegal attempt to update using time 1064897999 when last update time is
1092712700 (minimum one second step)

   What I don't understand is that the epoch time is correct and is not
duplicated, but the "last update time" keeps stating the time when I
started my script.  If you look at the log timestamps, the time IS
increasing and I even have a 'sleep 1;' in the loop this code is called
from.  Shouldn't the last update time be the last update, and be
incremented with the next loop?

   Or am I an idiot and I'm missing something fundamental?  I did search
for this answer before emailing the list, so hopefully I didn't miss the
answer to this...

Thanks much!

Benny

ps:  rrdtool version 1.0.46 on OpenBSD 3.5-STABLE

[benny at host ~]$ rrdtool info ~/rrd/daily.rrd
rrd_version = "0001"
step = 86400
last_update = 1092712700
ds[emails].type = "GAUGE"
ds[emails].minimal_heartbeat = 86400
ds[emails].min = 0.0000000000e+00
ds[emails].max = NaN
ds[emails].last_ds = "UNKN"
ds[emails].value = 0.0000000000e+00
ds[emails].unknown_sec = 11900
rra[0].cf = "MAX"
rra[0].rows = 3650
rra[0].pdp_per_row = 1
rra[0].xff = 5.0000000000e-01
rra[0].cdp_prep[0].value = NaN
rra[0].cdp_prep[0].unknown_datapoints = 0