[rrd-users] Re: MAX doesn't work as expected: peaks are filtered

Cristian Ghezzi rrd-users01 at ghezzi.net
Tue Aug 17 14:09:51 MEST 2004

My point is that "step" means "precision" only when using "MAX": by
using smaller step values, the average value computed for the step (the
PDP) is closer to the maximum value within the step.

If you use "AVERAGE", on the contrary, you always get the exact average,
regardless of the step size: if a step of 10 gives you the values 150
and 110, then a step of 20 gives you 130, which is the average over the
longest period.

So, you see, the "step" parameter has different semantics when used with
different consolidation functions.
I find this misleading. Doesn't anybody agree? Don't you think this
could be easily changed, so to produce exact values for MAX/MIN also?

Cristian Ghezzi