[rrd-users] Graph doesn't works with MAX but OK with AVERAGE, iss ue with hi value ???

BACHIE Eric (PCO TECHNOLOGIES) eric.bachie at airbus.com
Thu Aug 19 10:45:21 MEST 2004

Hi,

I'm working with RRDTool_1.0.48 on Solaris SunOS-5.8.

I have created an RRD file with the following definition:

DS:VAR1:GAUGE:120:0:U
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:2880
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:5:4032
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:30:2976
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:60:17520
RRA:MIN:0.5:1:2880
RRA:MIN:0.5:5:4032
RRA:MIN:0.5:30:2976
RRA:MIN:0.5:60:17520
RRA:MAX:0.5:1:2880
RRA:MAX:0.5:5:4032
RRA:MAX:0.5:30:2976
RRA:MAX:0.5:60:17520

and I use rrdtool graph to print out a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly
graph.

When I use the following commands to graph the AVERAGE the graph is OK
"DEF:ba=/usr/local/kpi/server/data/duration.rrd:VAR1:AVERAGE",
"DEF:bb=/usr/local/kpi/server/data/duration.rrd:VAR1:MIN",
"DEF:bc=/usr/local/kpi/server/data/duration.rrd:VAR1:MAX",
"LINE2:ba#1E8F08:Average Duration     ",
"GPRINT:bc:MAX:Maximum\\: %6.2lf",
"GPRINT:ba:LAST:Last\\: %6.2lf",
"GPRINT:bb:MIN:Minimum\\:%6.2lf \\j"

When I use the following commands to graph the MAX, the rrdtool graph
command
will execute without stopping and no graph is produced.
The process is killed after 5 minutes.
"DEF:ba=/usr/local/kpi/server/data/duration.rrd:VAR1:AVERAGE",
"DEF:bb=/usr/local/kpi/server/data/duration.rrd:VAR1:MIN",
"DEF:bc=/usr/local/kpi/server/data/duration.rrd:VAR1:MAX",
"LINE2:bc#1E8F08:Max Duration     ",
"GPRINT:bc:MAX:Maximum\\: %6.2lf",
"GPRINT:ba:LAST:Last\\: %6.2lf",
"GPRINT:bb:MIN:Minimum\\:%6.2lf \\j"

The only difference I have seen is that with AVERAGE the graph line is
between 0 and 55 and the MAX value displayed by GPRINT is 21429.82.

Is there and issue with hi value in graph ?
Has anyone experienced such a time out problem ?

Thanks,
Eric