[rrd-users] Re: how to get a step of 60

M. Possamai possamai at xs4all.nl
Thu Aug 19 11:34:47 MEST 2004

At 10:53 19-8-2004, you wrote:
>On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 10:30:20AM +0200, M. Possamai wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to create an rrd with a step of 60 but for some reason rrdtool
> > will not let me use that value.
> > Sure it builds the rrd..
> > but the step is wrong..
>
>No, the step is not wrong.  You are asking for a certain amount of
>data and RRDtool is answering to the best of its abilities.  There
>is only two hours worth of data in the 60-second RRA so if you are
>asking for more than two hours, RRDtool has no other choice than to
>select another RRA.

omg, you are so right...
with a -s -300 the fetch is perfect :)
Thanx for the help

>In general:  RRDtool is NOT doing anything wrong.  You are, because
>you did not read or understand the documentation.

Actually I did read the documentation..
a few times to be exact..
And I found this little line in the 'rrdtool fetch' manual.
Directly under the "

RESOLUTION INTERVAL" head.....

-- quote --
In order to get RRDTool to fetch anything other than the finest resolution
RRA both the start and end time must be specified on boundaries that are
multiples of the wanted resolution.
-- quote --
To me, this means that by default, without any start or end, rrdtool fetch
takes the 'finest' resolution RRA,
and that the 'finest' resolution RRA would in my case be the one with the
60 second step..

Either I missunderstand this part of the documentation or this default
action has been changed
after the docs were written..

My guess is the first one...
Since everyone here seems to have never had this problem...
Though I would like to know what I missunderstood about it...

>And yes, this is true for many new users that come bashing this list with
>remarks like
>"rrdtool is wrong", "the step is wrong", "rrdtool is misleading".

I simply thought I could not get the step right the way I was creating the
rrd..
I never said rrd was 'wrong'.. I allready figured I was doing something wrong..
I just didn't think it would be a wrong fetch instead of a wrong create..

Thanx for all the help.
Michele Possamai