[rrd-users] Please advise

mrugan mrugan at softhome.net
Sun Aug 29 22:49:28 MEST 2004

Hello list,

I intend to log to a linux host running syslog-ng as syslog daemon
data broadcasted by multiple windows hosts running MBM (motherboard
monitor)[which has an option to send via syslog's udp, measurements at
an certain time span](300seconds was my choice). Every aspect of
filtering the data (knowing which host sends what and at what time) is
running perfectly.

However, MBM, hence the windows stations do not start at fixed times
(round values), sends the logs within a time-frame which cannot be
controlled within the software.
[i've thinked even at sync'ing workstation's time with the linux server]

My question to you is how should i insert them into rrd databases,
because of the delay between one day's log and another. (the 5 minute
interval within a time frame is delayed). Rounding up time-values via
perl doesn't fit the "wanted-to-be" accuracy[1] in measurement and i
think might be a mistake ...
[1] the */5 old cron job

Thanks.
--