[rrd-users] Re: Please advise

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Mon Aug 30 01:08:05 MEST 2004

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 11:49:28PM +0300, mrugan wrote:

> I intend to log to a linux host running syslog-ng as syslog daemon
> data broadcasted by multiple windows hosts running MBM (motherboard
> monitor)[which has an option to send via syslog's udp, measurements at
> an certain time span](300seconds was my choice). Every aspect of
> filtering the data (knowing which host sends what and at what time) is
> running perfectly.

Good.  So far no problems.

> However, MBM, hence the windows stations do not start at fixed times
> (round values), sends the logs within a time-frame which cannot be
> controlled within the software.

That should not be a problem as well.

> [i've thinked even at sync'ing workstation's time with the linux server]

This is probably something you'd like to do for other reasons.  Far OT
on this list so I won't elaborate.

> My question to you is how should i insert them into rrd databases,
> because of the delay between one day's log and another. (the 5 minute
> interval within a time frame is delayed). Rounding up time-values via
> perl doesn't fit the "wanted-to-be" accuracy[1] in measurement and i
> think might be a mistake ...

I guess you are thinking of one RRD with many DSes.  Why not a single
RRD per host?

If you have one update coming in to syslog-ng and you forward that
update to an RRD leaving no unknown DSes, there's no problem?

If that's not the solution, you need to describe your problem in a
different way.

HTH
Alex
--
I ask you to respect any "Reply-To" and "Mail-Follow-Up" headers.  If
you reply to me off-list, you'd better tell me you're doing so.  If