[rrd-users] Re: What kind of data is stored?

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Fri Dec 10 10:04:37 MET 2004

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 09:54:17AM +0100, Arthur wrote:

> I have (another) question.
> Were can I lookup what kind of data is stored in RRD files?

Data in an RRA are always rates, changes over time, per second.

Their type (bytes, personnel, sparrows flying east to west) cannot
be determined from the RRD.  You need to know what you put in to
know what you get out.

> This is for multiplying the octets with a factor of 8, but I don't want this
> for all graphs, since we have counters  who not need to be multyplied by
> 8...

So?  Just don't multiply by eight?  Either you see a problem that's not
there, or you didn't explain it very well.

> So actually, the guestion really is, how can I see if a graph should be a
> 'traffic graph' or just 'a graph'... ?

If you put traffic in, you get traffic as output. If not, not.

HTH
Alex
--
You want an answer?  You'd better follow the following guidelines!
Linesize well below 80 chars. Reply to the list, not to me. Trim