[rrd-users] Re: resize question

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Fri Dec 10 16:10:44 MET 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, Robin Elfrink wrote:

> Robin Elfrink wrote:
>
> > The overlap in data (ie. the last two weeks) shows the same (except it
> > scales different), but the new one lacks data from before two weeks ago.
> > And that is what I am looking for. To copy the 30 minute data from
> > before two weeks ago, into the enlarged 5 minute data RRA.
>
> Another little extra info on why I want this:
>
> I want to be able to view, for example, week 8 of 2004. If I do that
> now, I get a graph that looks like blokkendoos. I enlarged the 5 minute
> RRA, so in a year I'll get a nice graph for week 8 of 2005. But I want
> to be able to view week 8 of 2004 NOW.
>
> If I just do the resize, week 8 of 2004 will give me an empty graph,
> where the blokkendoos is not nice but will do better than an empty graph.

What you did not save you can not graph. Making graphs takes a good deal
of planning before you implement it.

But if you want to store graphs you might as well plan to take weekly
snapshots.

At present for some measurement environments I take daily snapshots of the
graphs. Combined with some scripting this results in almost up-to-date
monthly graphs. They make pretty pictures in quarterly reports.

Hugo.