[rrd-users] Re: R: Re: R: Re: RRD - Working with unknow data and changing unknown into zero

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Wed Feb 4 11:01:17 MET 2004

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 10:24:15AM +0100, Simone Felici - Alpikom Spa wrote:

> I've already finished to write a looong mail on my doubt of WHY I cannot
> create a graph with the LAST and MINIMUM values printed correctly (GPRINT)
> and then I found the problem.
> Making my graph and checking the unknown values, for a unknown reason the
> graph obtain as LAST value a ZERO (in the sum) and so the LAST and MIN
> values are of course ZERO.
> I haven't specified the end of the graph, only the start. If I specify an
> end of the graph to -e -300 for example I have the LAST and MIN values
> correctly, I don't know why, but it works!!! :)))
> Understood?

If the last update was at time 10:55, and now is 10:58, maybe rrdtool
returns the interval starting at 10:55 and ending at 11:00.
This interval is not yet filled with data and thus is unknown.

When you ask for "--end now-5min", you will effectively be asking for
the period "10:50 to 10:55" which is available and not unknown.

When you ask for an end time of "10:55", I think rrdtool should also
return the interval 10:50 to 10:55.  In other words, make sure you ask
for a multiple of 5 minutes (more precise, a multiple of step) in stead
of "now-5min".

HTH
Alex
--