[rrd-users] Re: rddtool, cacti and device replacement

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Fri Feb 6 14:22:34 MET 2004

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 01:03:20PM +0100, bombadil wrote:

> The counter values will start at zero for the new switch.
>
> I don't want to have rrdtool think that the counter wrapped and create
> huge spikes in the graph.

The difference is unknown, so tell RRDtool the data is unknown.  Then
immediately tell RRDtool the counter value is zero.  This way you get
the following updates:

1: old switch:  some value (rrdtool calculates as usual -> known rate)
2: old switch:  some value (rrdtool calculates as usual -> known rate)
3: manually:    "U"        (known to be unknown         -> unknown rate)
4: manually:    "0"        (known value of zero         -> unknown rate)
5: new switch:  some value (rrdtool calculates as usual -> known rate)
6: new switch:  some value (rrdtool calculates as usual -> known rate)

If the time between step 2,3 and 4 is small (1 second each) you loose
virtually no data.

> Is it feasible at all or should I star over with new rrd database files?

I don't think this is necessary.  OTOH I never done this on a large
scale so I could easily be wrong.

HTH
Alex
--