[rrd-users] help a newbie pls

Ionescu Ionut Ionut.Ionescu at romtelecom.ro
Mon Feb 23 10:00:21 MET 2004

Hello!

I'm new with mrtg and rrd tool, and I would greatly appreciate any help
ypu can give me.

First of all, I am using mrtg & rrd on Windows 2000.

I read all about implementing rrdtool with mrtg on win2000, but still I
am unsure about certain things... for instance what rrdtool archive file
should I download from the download area.... I've tried rrdtool.tar.gz
and rrdtool-1.0.40.x86distr.zip-5.8.zip. I think the latter was the one
I needed. I've succeeded in registering rrdtool package with perl.

After that, the guide I was reading said to move some .exe files from
src folder to my 'rrdtool\bin' folder and to include 'rrdtool\bin' in my
system path... Now, my question is.... what 'bin' folder?! There was no
'bin' folder in the archive....

Anyway... I've succeeeded in making rrd files for the device I was
trying to monitor...
However when I try to graph anything, I always get errors (like: can't
parse....).
All I want to do is to generate on-demand grahps regarding the traffic
flow for a given period of time... bits in and bits out for a specific
interface...... nothing more.

Please, help me.... and thank you in advance....

Best Regards,
Ionut Ionescu