[rrd-users] Re: Wanting an error instead of an "empty" graph

Sandor W. Sklar ssklar at stanford.edu
Tue Feb 24 20:48:22 MET 2004

On Feb 24, 2004, at 7:49 AM, Serge Maandag wrote:

>> I've noticed that if the RRD does not contain any data for the span
>> requested, a graph will still be generated, but with no data (of
>> course.)
>
> I'm glad it does.

Under what conditions would a graph containing no data be of value?

>> I'm wondering if it is somehow possible to have RRDs::graph
>> NOT create a graph, but instead, set RRDs::error
>
> That would require a source hack, I think.
>
>> I could do an RRDs::last on each RRD and check to see if it falls
>> within the span, but I'd rather not have to do the extra
>> operation if I can avoid it.
>
> rrds::last wouldn't help you. I think you are looking for some kind of
> rrds::first. You could do something like
> rrdtool fetch | grep -v nan | head -1 | etcetera to fetch the first
> value.

No, I think rrds::last would help me.  If I want a graph of the last
week's data, and if the timestamp of the last update of the rrd is
earlier then one week ago, then I know that I don't have the data that
I want.

	-s-

--
Sandor Wade Sklar