[rrd-users] Re: Wanting an error instead of an "empty" graph

Sandor W. Sklar ssklar at stanford.edu
Wed Feb 25 04:04:04 MET 2004

On Feb 24, 2004, at 1:57 PM, Serge Maandag wrote:

>> Under what conditions would a graph containing no data be of value?
>
> rrdtool is built to handle missing data.
> whether it is before, after or during the time spanned by your rra's.
> It just displays it as being NaN, which in my opinion is much better
> than to generate errors and such.

I'd agree with you, if there was one valid data point within the range.
  I'd think though, that if there were zero data points in the range
requested, an error would be in order.

It doesn't matter, though, since there is nothing I can do to change it
without modifying the code.

>> if the timestamp of the last update of the rrd is
>> earlier then one week ago, then I know that I don't have the
>> data that I want.
>
> Ah, I assumed you kept on updating the rrd with nans and you wanted to
> find
> the last time a valid number was entered.

Why would one update an RRD with NaNs intentionally?

	-s-

--
Sandor Wade Sklar
Unix Systems Administrator