[rrd-users] Re: RRDtool lying about data values

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Thu Jan 1 03:33:20 MET 2004

Jon,

If you're still using MRTG to poll the values,
the minimum you can do is still 5 minutes.  The
reason is that MRTG still created the RRAs, which
are still 5 minute samples.

Use something like cacti or a roll your own poller
and build an MRTG-like utility to stuffthe data into
the RRD database.

Paul

>>> <jon.hartman at verizon.com> 12/31/03 16:24 PM >>>
I'm using using the following software to monitor link utilization on
network devices:

MRTG 2.9.17-3
RRDtool 1.0.45
14all.cgi

I had started using MRTG alone, then converted to rrdtool and 14all.cgi. I
also dropped my polling interval from 5 minutes to 1. When I look at the
graphs, the values listed under them don't mesh with the data points on
the curve. As one can see in the example:
http://home1.gte.net/jodih/graph.png. The maximum out is stated to be
113.028Mbps, while the graph clearly shows it to be more about 150Mbps.

Is there some sort of math error here?

Thanks in advance,

-Jon Hartman